Team Owner Dale Coyne is a true racer with a long history in Indy car racing. As a driver and owner for seven years, and a team owner since 1984, he is among the most experienced in the Verizon IndyCar Series paddock and highly respected by his peers.
Coyne was the only Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) owner to serve on the CART and United States Auto Club boards at the same time in the 1990s. He also was picked by his fellow owners to be CART’s interim CEO in 1994-95. The next step for this Midwestern entrepreneur was designing and building Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, Ill. This state-of-the-art drag racing facility drew the attention of then-Indianapolis Motor Speedway CEO Tony George and, along with International Speedway Corp. (ISC), they expanded the facility by forming a partnership and building Chicagoland Speedway. Coyne served as president of the facility through its construction and opening season. Along with George, he served on its management committee until its eventual buyout by ISC in 2007. Coyne has several other investments, including being the largest Sonny’s BBQ franchisee in the country.
Having coached such notable drivers as Paul Tracy and Michael Jourdain Jr., Coyne is known for taking on young drivers and mentoring them in the early stages of their careers.
PRONOUNCED: ( Coin )
BIRTHDATE: July 8, 1954
BIRTHPLACE: Minooka, IL
RESIDENCE: Plainfield, IL
MARITAL STATUS: Married to Gail Coyne
YEARS AS AN OWNER: 37
CAREER STARTS AS AN DRIVER: 34
BEST START AS AN OWNER: Pole position (three times)
- Mike Conway in Dual in Detroit #2, June 2, 2013
- Sebastien Bourdais – Phoenix Grand Prix, April 6, 2018
- Romain Grosjean – INDYCAR Grand Prix. May 14, 2021
BEST FINISH AS AN OWNER: First Place (Six Times):
- Justin Wilson at Watkins Glen International Racecourse on July 5, 2009
- Justin Wilson at Texas Motor Speedway on June 9, 2012
- Mike Conway at Belle Isle, MI Street Course on June 1, 2013
- Carlos Huertas at Houston, TX Street Course on June 28, 2014
- Sebastien Bourdais at St. Petersburg, FL Street Course on March 12, 2017
- Sebastien Bourdais at St. Petersburg, FL Street Course on March 11, 2018