Madison, IL (Saturday, August 20, 2022) – Takuma Sato (#51 Nurtec ODT – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR) registered his best finish of the season with a fifth-place finish in the Bommarito Automotive Group 500 on Saturday night.
- Sato picked up a spot at the start of the race and ran seventh for the majority of his first stint.
- He had moved up to sixth by the time he made his second stop on Lap 103.
- Having pitted earlier than others, Sato gained some ground in clean air and took the lead of the race on Lap 127.
- Sato was still leading when a full course caution came out on Lap 144, taking away the advantage he had built with his previous strategy,
- He was eighth when the race returned to green on Lap 158 and was running sixth when the race was red flagged on Lap 217 due to rain.
- Sato picked up one more spot during the final stint of the race, taking over fifth place on Lap 231, giving himself his best finish of the season.
- He led 22 laps in the race.
- Has six INDYCAR SERIES wins (2013 – Long Beach; 2017 – Indy 500; 2018 – Portland; 2019 – Barber, Gateway: 2020 – Indy 500)
- 10 poles (2011 – Iowa, Edmonton; 2013 – Houston Race 1; 2014 – St. Pete, Detroit Race 2; 2017 – Detroit Race 2, Pocono; 2019 – Barber, Texas; 2020 St. Louis Race 2)
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“This place has always brought us excitement and here we are again! I think it was a fantastic race for the spectators. I was pleased to bring home a top five for Honda, but we needed just a little bit more help. There were some guys a few laps down that didn’t let me go, and I think that cost me a
place or two. But, nevertheless, I’m thankful for Dale Coyne Racing with RWR and Honda. What a great result for all of us. Congratulations to David (Malukas) on his first podium.”