Madison, IL (Friday, August 19, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) will be starting the final oval of the season from the sixth row after qualifying 12th for the Bommarito Automotive Group 500.
Lap 1: 178.823 mph
Lap 2: 179.497 mph
Two-lap average: 179.159 mph
- Malukas and his #18 HMD Honda were 10th in the qualifying line.
- He registered a two-lap average of 179.159mph that initially placed him third on the provisional grid.
- Once all 26 cars had made their qualifying attempts, Malukas found himself 13th on the timing sheet.
- With one driver ahead of him getting a grid penalty, Malukas will be starting 12th.
- The rookie is making his first start at World Wide Technology Raceway but has competed at the venue in Indy Lights, picking up a couple of wins last season after starting first and second.
- Malukas has a best finish of eighth this season (Race 2 at Iowa Speedway) and a best start of fifth (Toronto) in 14 races.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“That was very exciting! We had one too many moments for my liking. As soon as we left the pits and went into my warmup lap, I had one. Thankfully I saved it, but I had many little moments during my qualifying run, so it was a long three laps, but the HMD car came back in one piece. We would’ve liked a starting position in the top 10 but despite all that the race car is still very quick. We have one more session to make some final changes and get ready for the race tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it.”