Nashville, TN (Saturday, August 6, 2022) – Takuma Sato (#51 Nurtec ODT) and his Dale Coyne Racing with RWR team will be starting the Big Machine Music City Grand Prix from the 10th row on Sunday after qualifying 20th.
- Sato was part of the second group to take to the track in Segment 1 of qualifying.
- He registered his fastest qualifying time on his fifth lap.
- His time of 1:15.5935 initially placed him seventh in his group.
- He was 10th in his group when the checkered flag fell at the end of the session, meaning he wouldn’t move on to the second round, missing out by less than four tenths of a second.
- Sato is making his second start on the streets of Nashville
- In 13 races this season, Sato has a best finish of seventh (IMS road course) and he has a best starting position of second on the streets of Detroit.
- Has six INDYCAR SERIES wins (2013 – Long Beach; 2017 – Indy 500; 2018 – Portland; 2019 – Barber, Gateway: 2020 – Indy 500 )
- 10 poles (2011 – Iowa, Edmonton; 2013 – Houston Race 1; 2014 – St. Pete, Detroit Race 2; 2017 – Detroit Race 2, Pocono; 2019 – Barber, Texas; 2020 St. Louis Race 2)
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“We had a good practice session earlier today and made good progress. So, we were looking forward to qualifying but it didn’t work out really well. We thought we had a good qualifying but in the end, the lap times were very, very close. Unfortunately, we couldn’t move up to the second round because we ended up tenth in our group. We still have a warmup tomorrow to prepare for the race. Last year the race was dramatic, so I think we still have a good chance and hopefully we have a good one tomorrow.”