Nashville, TN (Saturday, August 6, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) is making his first appearance on the streets of Nashville this weekend but it didn’t show as he placed himself an impressive seventh on the starting grid for tomorrow’s race.
- Malukas went out in Group 1 of qualifying and despite a shortened session due to red flags, he managed to place himself third in his group with a lap time of 1:16.6882.
- His result meant that he would be moving on to the second segment for the fifth time this season.
- The rookie then came close to securing a spot in the Firestone Fast Six but a small mistake in one of the turns cost him a few tenths and he missed out on the final round by only 3 hundredths of a second.
- In segment 2, he registered a fastest lap of 1:14.9616 that initially placed him fifth in his group but he would end up seventh when all was said and done.
- In addition to his five trips to the second round, he has made it to the Fast 6 twice this season,
- Malukas has a best finish of eighth this season (Race 2 at Iowa Speedway) and a best start of fifth (Toronto).
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“Unfortunately, we didn’t make the Firestone Fast 6 today, we ended up one position away. I am a little bit frustrated from my end. We had a car to make it there and I made one mistake in one of the corners. It really hurts. It cost me multiple tenths and a place in the Top 6. It’s unfortunate that that happened but the team gave me a great car. I look forward to the race tomorrow.”