INDIANAPOLIS (Saturday, July 30, 2022) – Takuma Sato (#51 Deloitte) and his Dale Coyne Racing with RWR team finished the Gallagher Grand Prix in 15th place on Saturday.
- Sato’s team opted to pit under the first caution period on Lap 4, and hope for more yellows further into the race that would give them an advantage.
- Once all cars had made their first stops, Sato found himself in sixth place.
- He was running fifth when he entered pit lane for his second stop on Lap 31.
- Following his stop, he was running ninth when another full course caution came out on Lap 37.
- The caution reset the field as everyone now had one more stop to go.
- Sato had fallen to 13th by the time he made his final stop on Lap 59.
- He crossed the finish line in 15th.
- In 13 races this season, Sato has a best finish of seventh scored at the IMS road course earlier this year during the GMR Grand Prix and he has an overall best starting position of second on the streets of Detroit this year.
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“P15 today, probably not deserved, but we had to try. We decided to pit under the first yellow which we knew was really short for that stint and that it would be a sacrifice for the rest of the race. We were hoping to get another couple yellows and it didn’t turn out that way. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t get a better result. We tried, it was important to keep pushing and hopefully we get a better result in Nashville next weekend.”