INDIANAPOLIS (Saturday, July 30, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) had another strong race on Saturday aboard his #18 HMD Honda however the final result wasn’t indicative of his performance.
- Malukas had to avoid getting punted in the opening laps of the 85-lap event and fell to 18th from his 11th place on the starting grid.
- The rookie then opted to pit on Lap 10 and switch to the alternate Firestone tire.
- He returned to pit lane on Lap 35, just before a full course caution came out on Lap 36.
- He was running 18th when the race returned to green on Lap 40
- The rookie was 16th by the time he made his final stop on Lap 60.
- He was 16th once all cars cycled through their final stops and he then fought his way back to take the checkered flag in 13th place.
- Malukas’ best finish this season came last weekend in Race 2 at Iowa Speedway where he finished eighth. He has a best start of fifth on the streets of Toronto.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“Sadly, this weekend was just unfortunate event after unfortunate event. In practice and qualifying we had some issues and now in the race we got punted in the early laps and that set us back. Then we had some unlucky yellows. We just can’t seem to get luck the whole way through a race. We fell back to 18th at one point and we worked our way back up to 13th so at the end of the day it isn’t too bad considering where we started. I think we could have been moving forward early on, I think we had a much better car than what our result is showing.”