Newton, Iowa – (Sunday, July 24, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) registered his best result of the season on Sunday with an eighth-place finish in the final round of the doubleheader at Iowa Speedway.
- Malukas who was starting 14th, ran an impressive 300-lap race at Iowa Speedway moving up the field throughout the race.
- The rookie even ran as high as first before making his way down pit lane for his first stop on Lap 69.
- In his second stint, the driver of the #18 HMD car moved up from 18th all the way to 9th before making his second stop under caution on Lap 129.
- Malukas entered pit lane from eighth on Lap 195 for his third stop of the race.
- With a full course caution coming out on Lap 236, the entire field headed to pit lane.
- He was running ninth when the race returned to green on Lap 250 and after exchanging positions with his teammate a few times, he went on to cross the finish line in eighth.
- Today’s result was Malukas’ best finish of the season.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“I wasn’t really a fan of Iowa Speedway before today’s race but now I am a massive fan. What a joy of a race that was. Although today’s race was 300 laps, it felt much shorter than yesterday. Every lap was either making a pass or setting up for a pass. It was chaos from start to finish but I kept moving up. The only cars that got by us were the McLarens and Penskes. Other than that, no one else could pass us, we were the ones going forward. At the end, I had an amazing battle with my teammate Takuma (Sato). Neither of us made it easy but in the end, I won that little battle, but it was a lot of fun and he pushed me to the end. Thank you to Hy-Vee for putting on such an amazing race weekend.”