Newton, Iowa – (Friday, July 22, 2022) – Dale Coyne Racing and drivers Takuma Sato (#51 Dale Coyne Racing with RWR) and David Malukas (#18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) are taking on the shortest track of the season this weekend at Iowa Speedway. Details for both drivers are below.
Takuma Sato To Once Again Sport Deloitte Colors at Iowa
Newton, Iowa – (Friday, July 22, 2022) – Takuma Sato and his Dale Coyne Racing with RWR team will have a couple of liveries at the Hy-Vee INDYCAR Weekend at Iowa Speedway. The Deloitte colors will once again be on display on the #51 car for Race 1 of the weekend while the Nurtec ODT colors will make their return for Sunday’s race.
- Following its initial reveal in Toronto, the #51 Deloitte Honda and it’s iconic green and black colors will be back in action for the first race of the weekend.
- Takuma Sato is looking to bounce back from what was his shortest race of the season in Toronto last weekend where he was taken out on the first lap of the race.
- The Japanese driver has 12 starts at Iowa Speedway.
- Sato’s best start at the 0.875-mile oval came in 2011 when he started on pole.
- His best result at Iowa Speedway was a third-place finish in 2018.
- The two-time Indy 500 Champion has led 59 laps at the short oval.
- In 10 races this season, Sato has a best finish of seventh at the GMR Grand Prix and a best start of second in Detroit.
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“I’m extremely excited to be back in Iowa. This track is such an iconic short oval. Bumpy but high banking with multiple lanes available means a great race all the way to the end and it’s only 18 seconds per lap! I have quite few good memories here in Iowa, so I definitely look forward to this weekend especially after an unfortunate and disappointing early retirement last week in Toronto. It’s the only double header weekend for this season and a cool looking Deloitte Car is back in Race 1! I would like to say a big thank you to the team, RWR and Nurtec ODT to let Deloitte carry over to Iowa and of course I’m looking forward to jumping back into our season’s primary Nurtec ODT car for Race 2. It will be very busy and hard work for the team and especially the #51 boys but we had a productive test a few weeks ago and I’m confident we will have a good weekend.”
David Malukas Excited for Short Oval Debut
Newton, Iowa – (Friday, July 22, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) will be making his first start at Iowa Speedway this weekend. It will also be his first NTT INDYCAR SERIES race on a short oval.
- Malukas is coming off one of his better overall weekend’s this year, after qualifying a season best of 5th in Toronto.
- The rookie had the chance to test and run his first unofficial laps at Iowa Speedway a little over a month ago.
- Unlike other race tracks he’s been to this season, this is the first time that Malukas will race on the 0.875-mile oval.
- Malukas will be leaving on the support of his teammate, and veteran driver, Takuma Sato to give him a few pointers this weekend.
- In 10 races this season, he has a best finish of ninth registered at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“I tested at Iowa Speedway with the team about a month ago. It’s a very special track and it definitely has its own characteristics with it being such a short and bumpy oval. It will be my first time racing there so thankfully I have Takuma (Sato) to continue to learn from like I did at the test. We didn’t get as much track time as we would’ve liked when we were here, but I think overall we managed to find some pace at the end of the day. It will be an interesting weekend for us since it’s a doubleheader. As I said, I’m confident going into the weekend, Takuma was quick at the test and I think the car is going to be very good and I know I’ll get there with my driving as well. I’m looking forward to it.”
Hy-Vee INDYCAR Weekend
Races 11 & 12 of 17
Track length: 0.875-mile short oval
Race 1: 250 laps
Race 2: 300 laps
Schedule (all times local)
Friday, July 22, 2022
Practice 1: 3:30pm – 5:00pm
Saturday, July 23, 2022
Race 1: 3:06pm
Sunday, July 24, 2022
Race 2: 2:30pm