Toronto, ON (Saturday, July 16, 2022) – Takuma Sato (#51 Deloitte) and his Dale Coyne Racing with RWR team bounced back from a practice incident on Saturday to qualify 19th in tomorrow’s Honda Indy Toronto.
Round 1 / Group 1: 10th
Best Lap: 1:00.5324
- Sato made contact with the wall in the morning practice session causing important damage to the left side of his #51 Deloitte car.
- With the start of practice having been delayed, it meant that the crew had even less time to make repairs ahead of qualifying.
- The team did an amazing job to get the car ready as they rolled onto pit lane with 5 minutes remaining before the start of qualifying.
- Sato took to the track in Group 1 of qualifying and registered a fastest time of 1:00.5324 on his seventh and final lap.
- His time placed him 10th in the group and 19th overall.
- Takuma Sato is making his 13th start on the streets of Toronto this weekend where he has four top ten finishes including two fifth place results (Race 2 in 2014 and 2016).
- He also has a best start of seventh (2018) around the 11-turn, 1.786-mile street circuit.
- In nine races this season, Sato has a best finish of seventh at the GMR Grand Prix and a best start of second in Detroit.
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“Our qualifying was not the day we wanted, to be honest. I had a little accident at the end of the practice session this morning and with the practice having been delayed due to wall repairs from a support series incident, there wasn’t a lot of time between practice and qualifying. The 51 boys did a great job to fix up the car but we didn’t have enough time to do a complete set up on the pad so we didn’t know if the car was square, but obviously they did a great job. We only missed the next round by a few tenths, which is essential here. It’s a pity we didn’t do well today but congratulations to David (Malukas), he had a fantastic day. At least our sister car is doing really well so we should be able to find some speed for tomorrow’s warmup and have a very strong race. I’m very happy to have the Deloitte car this weekend. It’s a shame for the qualifying but we will have a strong day tomorrow.”