Lexington, OH (Sunday, July 3, 2022) – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR’s Takuma Sato didn’t have the race he was hoping for at Mid-Ohio but the driver of the #51 Nurtec ODT climbed his way up to a 14th place finish, making 11 on track passes in the 80-lap event.
- Sato immediately gained a couple of positions at the start of the race to move into 17th place from his 19th spot on the grid.
- He spent most of his first stint in 15th place and was running seventh when he headed to pit lane for his first stop on Lap 28.
- Unfortunately for Sato, he went off track in Turn 9 while running 16th during his middle stint and that sent him to the back of the field in 24th.
- Following his final stop on Lap 52, Sato climbed his way back up the field.
- He moved into 15th on the Lap 63 restart before taking over 14th place with 10 laps remaining.
- In eight races this season, Sato has a best finish of seventh at the GMR Grand Prix and a best start of second in Detroit.
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“The Mid-Ohio race was a pity. I think we had a good start using the advantage of the red tire and moving up quite a few places. Then the restart was also strong, and I was on my way to getting close to the top 10. Then I went a little wide on our middle stint and fell to the back of the field. The 51 guys did a good job today. It was a shame that we could get any higher in the field, but we still learned a lot of things from Mid-Ohio. The next one is Toronto and we’re really looking forward to that one after three years. We’ll keep pushing and hopefully we can have a good result there.”