Elkhart Lake, WI (Sunday, June 12, 2022) – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR’s Takuma Sato (#51 Nurtec ODT) had some good battles in Sunday’s Sonsio Grand Prix at Road America on his way to a 15th place finish.
- Sato immediately gained 3 positions at the start of the 55 lap race, moving from 19th to 16th by the end of the first lap.
- He continued to gain positions and was sitting in 12th by Lap 10.
- The driver of the #51 Nurtec ODT car entered pit lane on Lap 17 for his first stop.
- Despite losing some positions with his pit stop and with cars on different pit cycles, he climbed as high as 6th prior to making his second stop on Lap 30.
- With pit stops cycling through he was 17th following his final stop and gained a couple more positions with some good battles in his last stint to take the checkered flag in 15th place.
- The two-time Indy 500 Champion was making his eighth start on the 4-mile, 14-turn road course this weekend.
- So far this season, in nine races, Sato has a best finish of seventh at the GMR Grand Prix and a best start of second in Detroit.
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“It was an exciting race. At the start I overtook a couple of cars and gained a few more positions after that, but we lost a couple of places on our first pit stop and that really hurt us in terms of track position. Unfortunately, we didn’t gain back anything under the yellow and we always ended up cycling back to where we were. It was a tough race overall, but we fought really strong on the restarts and had some side-by-side overtaking, which was fun. In the end finishing 15ht isn’t exactly what we wanted but as a team we showed some strengths.”