Elkhart Lake, WI (Sunday, June 12, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) has always enjoyed racing at Road America and Sunday’s Sonsio Grand Prix was no different for the rookie who ended up 16th in the 55-lap race.
- Malukas was making his first NTT INDYCAR SERIES start at Road America this weekend.
- Starting 14th, he was running 9th by the time he made his first pit stop on Lap 16.
- Unfortunately, the rookie went a little long in his pit box and it cost him some important track positions and he fell to 22nd following his stop.
- By the time he made his second stop on Lap 27, he had made his way back up to 15th.
- The rookie held his own, and enjoyed some good battles on track, including some in the final laps of the event following a restart with three laps remaining.
- In 8 races this season, the rookie has a best finish of 11th (Detroit and Texas Motor Speedway) as well as a best starting position of 6th (Detroit.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“This race, even if it’s Road America, and it’s 55 laps and a long race, it still felt short to me and it went by very, very quickly. Sadly, I made a mistake coming into the pits. I was trying to get the maximum I could on pit entry and a car pulled out in front of me and I got spooked a little bit and I ended up locking up the brakes on entry to the pit box, so that cost us some positions. In the end, I was P16. It’s not the desired result, but there were a lot of good battles at the end, and I still had some push to pass while others didn’t. It was a lot of fun. Road America never disappoints.”
Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio
Race 9 of 17
July 1 – 3, 2022
Track length: 2.258-mile, 13-turn permanent road course
Race Distance: 80 laps
Broadcast: NBC Noon ET, July 3, 2022