INDIANAPOLIS (Saturday, May 21, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) put in two strong qualifying attempts on Saturday during qualifying for the Indy 500 but despite his impressive last run, he fell just short of making it into the Top 12 by just 0.1 mph, over a four-lap average.
Lap 1: 231.601 mph
Lap 2: 231.294 mph
Lap 3: 231.077 mph
Lap 4: 230.962 mph
Lap 1: 232.482 mph
Lap 2: 232.206 mph
Lap 3: 230.552 mph
Lap 4: 231.200 mph
Average: 231.607 mph
- Malukas was the 13th car to take to the track on Saturday during qualifying.
- He registered a four-lap average of 231.233mph on his first attempt which initially placed him 8th.
- With other cars still having to qualifying, Malukas found himself 17th when all cars had made their guaranteed first attempt.
- Malukas went back out for a second qualifying attempt and another shot at the Fast 12.
- He improved his four-lap average to 231.607 mph and sat 12th until his teammate Takuma Sato bumped him to 13th and out of the Top 12 and the opportunity to go for pole position on Sunday.
- The rookie was getting ready to make a third qualifying run when rain started falling around 2:15pm.
- Another rain shower later in the day forced the end of the qualifying session.
- Malukas will be starting on the inside of Row 5 for his first Indianapolis 500.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“Unfortunately, we missed out on the Top 12 by just one spot and ended up 13th. All in all, it ended up being small mistakes that cost us. The car was very quick, and we knew that from all the practice sessions. Going into today, for the first run the conditions were perfect. We trimmed and trimmed before going out but it still was too much downforce on the car. That was a bit unfortunate. On our second run, we had a good trim level on the car, but I made a mistake on my third lap and had to lift out of it in Turn 2. Takuma had the same thing happen, but he just kept his foot down cause he has that experience! And even by hitting the wall he was able to go get that one tenth that we lost by lifting. At least one of the Dale Coyne Racing cars was able to make it into the Top 12 and have a shot at pole position tomorrow.