Leeds, Alabama (Sunday, May 1, 2022) – Takuma Sato gained four positions to finish 13th on Sunday in the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, a race that was mostly dictated by fuel saving strategies throughout the field.
- Sato started his 12th race at Barber Motorsports Park in 17th place.
- He gained positions right from the start and was sitting 11th by the time he entered pit lane on Lap 29.
- A full course caution came out on Lap 33 which allowed Sato to takeover ninth place by the time the race resumed on lap 36.
- On the restart, he was unable to maintain his position and fell a few spots to 13th before returning to pit lane for what would be his final stop on Lap 61.
- Sato exited pit lane in 16th but climbed his way back up to 13th to take the checkered flag.
- In four races so far in 2022, Sato has a best finish of 10th on the streets of St. Petersburg and a best start of third at Texas Motor Speedway.
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“It was a tough weekend for us. We gained a position at the start and made our way up to ninth to take the restart. We had the primary tires for the restart and that wasn’t in our favor as we lost ground a bit and I had to save fuel but everyone on track was in the same boat at that point. We were in better shape in the final stint, so I was able to overtake Newgarden, but it was a bit too late. 13th isn’t what we wanted but the team did fantastic pit stops and we’re carrying some momentum now going to the Indy GP and the Indy 500 so just around the corner. I’m looking forward to that.”