Long Beach, CA (Saturday, April 9, 2022) – Takuma Sato’s qualifying session around the streets of Long Beach didn’t go as planned aboard his #51 Nurtec ODT Honda, with the veteran driver placing 23rd on the starting grid for Sunday’s race.
Group 1 / Round 1: 12th
Best Lap: 1:07.1001
• Sato went out in Group 1 / Round 1 of qualifying and registered his fastest time of 1:07.1001 on his sixth and final lap of the 10-minute session.
• His fastest time placed him 12th in his group and 23rd on the starting grid for what will be his 12th start at the 1.968-mile, 11-turn street circuit.
• The two-time Indy 500 Champion’s best finish in Long Beach was also his first NTT INDYCAR SERIES win (2013).
• In addition to his win, he has four other top 10 finishes at the famed street circuit, including his last two visits in 2019 (8th) and 2021 (9th).
• This season, Sato has a best finish of 10th on the streets of St. Petersburg and a best start of third at Texas Motor Speedway.
Takuma Sato #51 Nurtec ODT Honda – Dale Coyne Racing with RWR
“We tried to find a good balance and speed all through the practice sessions but unfortunately we struggled a bit. Our tire pressure wasn’t ideal for qualifying but I’m confident that we will have a good warm up tomorrow and then make our way through the field to have a good race on Sunday. We did it in St. Petersburg and I know we can do it here.”
Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach
Race 3 of 17
Track length: 1.968-mile, 11-turn temporary street circuit
Race Distance: 85 laps
Schedule (all times local)
Sunday, April 10, 2022
Warmup: 9:00am – 9:30am (Peacock & INDYCAR Radio)
Race broadcast: Noon – 3pm (NBC & INDYCAR Radio)
Green Flag: 12:45pm