Fort Worth, TX (Sunday, March 20, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas put in a stellar performance on Sunday aboard his #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsport entry crossing the finish line in 11th as the best ranking rookie after leading three laps along the way.
- Malukas moved up to 10th before heading to pit lane for his first stop on Lap 60 but then unfortunately stalled exiting his pit box and lost precious positions on track.
- However, he bounced back from going as low as 26th following his first pit stop to finish 11th in the 248-lap event.
- The rookie stayed out of trouble all race long and was sitting 20th at the halfway mark of the race.
- He then continued to gain positions as the race went on climbing as high as first by lap 198.
- After leading his first three NTT INDYCAR SERIES laps, Malukas entered pit lane for his final stop on lap 201.
- From then on, Malukas gained another five positions, making some nice passes to climb all the way to 11th and claim his best IndyCar finish so far.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“Wow, that’s a long race! Thank goodness for those yellows, it allowed me to rest a bit. We had a few incidents or moments, I guess. I stalled in pit lane and then had a moment trying to make a pass driving on the second line, but throughout all of it we were able to come out in 11th. I think that really shows how great IndyCar is and how great Texas Motor Speedway is. You have moments where unfortunate things can happen but you can still be a front runner. I want to thank the team for giving me a great car and everyone for their support.”