Ed Jones Qualifying Summary:
- Ed Jones qualified the No. 18 Team SealMaster-Dale Coyne Racing with Vasser Sullivan entry on the seventh row for tomorrow’s 2021 NTT INDYCAR SERIES season opening Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, Alabama.
- Jones went out in Group 1 in Round 1 of qualifying and posted the seventh fastest lap in his group of 12 drivers on the 2.3-mile, 17-turn permanent road course.
Ed Jones Qualifying Quote:
“I’m really pleased with the way the No. 18 SealMaster – Coyne Vasser Sullivan team performed today. They did a great job preparing the car. We were fast in the second practice session and in qualifying we missed getting into Round 2 by a couple thousandths of a second. We have a good race car and I’m confident we can be very competitive tomorrow.”
- Ed Jones Fast Facts:
Jones is contesting his fourth NTT INDYCAR SERIES season and first with Dale Coyne w/ Vasser Sullivan.
- The 2021 Honda Indy GP of Alabama will be Jones’ 48th career NTT INDYCAR SERIES start and fourth at Barber Motorsports Park.
- In his previous three races at Barber, Jones has a best starting position of 11th in 2018 and a best finish of 16th also in 2018.
- Jones has made 47 career INDYCAR starts earning 14 top-10 finishes including three podium performances. Third in the Indianapolis 500 in 2017, and third at Long Beach and Detroit Race 2 in 2018.
- He has qualified in the top-10 seven times in his INDYCAR career with a best starting position of fourth at Detroit Race 2 in 2018 and the Indianapolis 500 in 2019.
- Jones was the 2017 INDYCAR Rookie of the Year and was the top-rookie finisher in the 2017 Indianapolis 500, placing third.
- Jones, 26, was born in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (of British citizenship) and currently resides in Miami, Florida.
The 17-race 2021 NTT INDYCAR SERIES season opens tomorrow, April 18 with the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama.