Santino Ferrucci Race 2 Summary:
• Santino Ferrucci had a spectacular qualifying effort. Heavy rain fell last night and this morning, so the track was wet requiring drivers to qualify on rain tires.
• Ferrucci went out with Group 1 in the No. 18 SealMaster-Dale Coyne Vasser-Sullivan entry when the track was at its worst and took the top spot on the speed charts by three seconds. He ended up second on the starting grid because Group 2 had a much dryer track.
• The second place starting position is Ferrucci’s IndyCar career high, surpassing a pair of sixth place starting positions most recently at Road America earlier this year (also at St. Louis in 2019). Ferrucci started on the outside of Row 1.
• On the opening lap of the race Ferrucci tried to pass for the lead. He moved to the outside and ended up off track. Ferrucci fought to get the car back under control but in doing so damaged it and ended up in a multi-car incident which dropped him to sixth place.
• A subsequent penalty for avoidable contact put him at the back of the field.
• The team then went to alternative fuel strategy and Ferrucci fought his way back through the field getting good pit stops along the way to finish 14th in the Honda Indy 200 Race 2 on the 2.258-mile, 13-turn Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course permanent road circuit in Lexington, Ohio.
Santino Ferrucci Race 2 Quote:
“It was a tough race. The SealMaster Honda had good pace, but on the opening lap I got caught off guard on the outside and when I tried to collect it I did some damage to the car. We came back from last to finish 14th with a couple of good pit stops and a really good last stint. Obviously, it was not our weekend, however we had a lot of good takeaways, so I’m looking forward to the Harvest Grand Prix.”
Santino Ferrucci Fast Facts:
• Ferrucci earned 17 points today and remains 10th in the IndyCar championship standings with 249 points.
• Ferrucci has finished in the top-10 in five of the 11 races during the 2020 season with a season high fourth in the Indianapolis 500, two sixth place finishes, both at Road America, and a ninth place showing in the GMR Grand Prix.
• Ferrucci is contesting his second full NTT IndyCar season and first with Dale Coyne w/ Vasser-Sullivan.
• The 2020 Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio Race 2 was Ferrucci’s 32nd career NTT IndyCar Series starts and third at the Mid-Ohio SportsCar Course.
• In three races at Mid-Ohio, Ferrucci has qualified 14th twice and has a best finish of 12th in his Mid-Ohio debut last year (finished 14th in both races at Mid-Ohio this weekend).
• In 32 career IndyCar starts, Ferrucci has four top-five finishes. Fourth in the 2020 Indy 500 and fourth at Texas Motor Speedway, Pocono Raceway and World Wide Technology Raceway, all in 2019)
• Ferrucci, 22, is a native of Woodbury, Connecticut. He resides in Port St. Lucie, Florida.
Round 12 and 13 of the 2020 NTT IndyCar Series season will be the Harvest Grand Prix Doubleheader, October, 2-3, on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course in Speedway, Indiana.