FINISHES SEVENTH IN 2018 VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
Sebastien Bourdais Race Summary:
Sebastien Bourdais piloted the No. 18 Team SealMaster – Dale Coyne Racing w/ Vasser-Sullivan car to a sixth place finish today in the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series season ending Grand Prix of Sonoma at Sonoma Raceway. Bourdais started 11th, on the first lap picked up three positions and essentially stayed in eighth until his first pit stop. He moved into seventh shortly after the stop and remained there until his second stop. Bourdais rejoined the race in sixth place, but dropped to seventh following his final stop on lap 63. He ran in seventh until the final lap of the race when he dramatically passed Alexander Rossi to finish sixth. Bourdais drove a smart race, taking advantage of the opportunities that presented themselves. He earned 56 points today (double points were awarded for the season finale) to finish the season seventh in the championship standings with 425 points.
Sebastien Bourdais Race Quote:
“We had to play the long game. It was a day where the tire degradation was really high and the stints were long. We pitted early when everybody freaked out with some apparent oil on the track, which I didn’t see. After that it was going to be long stints the rest of the way and the tires were struggling. We just did what we had to do. At the end of the day, it worked out and we finished seventh in the championship, which was the goal today. So I’m really happy with the result. Thanks to the SealMaster guys, thanks to all our sponsors and let’s all do it again next year.”
- The seventh place finish for Bourdais comes in his first season with Dale Coyne Racing w/ Vasser-Sullivan.
- It is the first top 10 finish in the final championship standings for Dale Coyne Racing since 2013 and the second best finish in the championship in the team’s 35 year history (Justin Wilson, sixth. Wilson also finished in the top 10 in 2009, eighth Wilson. Bruno Junqueira place seventh in 2007).
- Bourdais scored eight top-10 finishes with five top-five showings and two podium performances in 2018. (Won at St. Petersburg, third at Portland, fourth in the INDYCAR GP and Pocono, fifth at Barber, sixth at Mid-Ohio and Sonoma and eighth at Texas).
- In eight starts at Sonoma, Bourdais has finished in the top 10 six times with a best showing of third also in2012.
- Bourdais concluded his 13th Verizon IndyCar Series season, third with Dale Coyne Racing and first with Dale Coyne Racing w/ Vasser-Sullivan.
- The 2018 Grand Prix of Sonoma was Bourdais’ 188th Verizon IndyCar Series start and eighth at Sonoma Raceway.
- In 188 career IndyCar starts, Bourdais has won 37 races (sixth all-time) and captured 34 pole positions (seventh all-time).
- Bourdais is the only driver to win four consecutive IndyCar championships (2004 – 2007).
- Bourdais, 39, is a native of Le Mans, France but resides in St. Petersburg, Florida.