Sebastien Bourdais Race Summary:
In a race that was delayed by almost two hours due to a harrowing crash on the seventh lap, Sebastien Bourdais piloted the No. 18 Team SealMaster – Dale Coyne Racing with Vasser-Sullivan car to a fourth place finish in the ABC Supply Co. Inc. 500 at Pocono Raceway in Long Pond, PA. This was an unbelievably strong effort by the entire team. They rode the emotional rollercoaster waiting to hear the fate of the drivers involved in the crash, then waited for almost two hours while the track was repaired. Through all of this they performed their tasks flawlessly and professionally. Especially Bourdais, who drove with patience and skill while also recording the fastest lap of the race. Bourdais qualified eighth and held that position through the first six laps, which were all run under a caution flag as a result of a first lap incident. On lap seven, a five car accident in Turn 2 caused a red flag. All five drivers were sent to the medical center and one was eventually sent to the hospital for evaluation. The crash also severely damaged the catch fence and part of the wall, resulting in the long delay as safety workers cleaned up the debris from the crash and repaired the damage to the track. When the race resumed, Bourdais ran in sixth for most of the first stint. He moved into fifth and got as high as third during the second stint before slotting back into sixth after his second stop on lap 70. Bourdais moved back into fifth after his third stop on lap 105 and ran there until lap 131 when he took over fourth where he essentially remained for the final 69 laps of the 200 lap race.
Sebastien Bourdais Race Quote:
“I am just happy that Robbie’s injuries are not life threatening and the other guys are ok. That is the main thing. As for the race, it was a good day for the SealMaster Honda No. 18. It was a solid finish, fourth place. There were obviously some weird circumstances. It’s tough to get your head back in the game, but we pulled through as we usually do. It was solid effort by the whole team. I am really proud of the guys. It was a good day for us.”
- Bourdais earned 32 points today. He is 10th in the championship standings with 325 points on the strength of six top-10 finishes (four in the top-five). In addition to today’s fourth place showing, he has a win at St. Petersburg, a fourth place finish in the INDYCAR GP and a fifth at Barber Motorsports Park (sixth at Mid-Ohio and eighth at Texas).
- This is Bourdais best finish at Pocono in five starts surpassing a fifth place showing in 2016.
- Bourdais is contesting his 13th Verizon IndyCar Series season, third with Dale Coyne Racing and first with Dale Coyne Racing w/ Vasser-Sullivan.
- The 2018 ABC Supply Co. Inc. 500 was Bourdais’ 185th Verizon IndyCar Series start, 39th on an oval and fifth at Pocono.
- In 184 career IndyCar starts, Bourdais has won 37 races (sixth all-time) and captured 34 pole positions (seventh all-time).
- Of Bourdais’ 39 career oval starts, 31 have come in the last six years (29 in last five years).
- Bourdais has made 32 IndyCar oval starts (includes 2005 Indy 500) with a best qualifying effort of first (pole) at Phoenix in 2018 (his first pole since Mid-Ohio in 2014 and first on an oval since 2006 at Milwaukee. His best IndyCar oval finish is a victory at Milwaukee in 2015. It was his first oval win since 2006 also at Milwaukee (Champ Cars).
- Bourdais made seven oval starts in Champ Car earning four victories: Lausitz, 2003; Las Vegas in 2004 and 2005; Milwaukee 2006 and capturing three poles: Lausitz, 2003; Las Vegas 2005 and Milwaukee in 2006.
- Bourdais is the only driver to win four consecutive IndyCar championships (2004 – 2007).
- Bourdais, 39, is a native of Le Mans, France but resides in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Next Race and Broadcast Times:
Round 15 of the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series, will be the Bommarito Automotive Group 500, August 25, at Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison, IL.. The race will be broadcast live on NBCSN at 8:00 p.m. ET. It is also available on radio: XM 209 and IMS IndyCar Radio as well as online: IndyCar.com and Verizon IndyCar 15 app.