PLAINFIELD, Illinois - Dale Coyne Racing has firmed up its early 2015 Verizon IndyCar plans with the signing of veteran open wheel driver Francesco Dracone. He will drive the #19 Honda for DCR in the first four rounds of the season with further plans undetermined at this time.
Dracone makes his return to the Verizon IndyCar Series having previously participated in the series with Conquest Racing in 2010. He has since been driving in the Auto GP Series in Europe. Dracone also tested with Coyne in December 2013. The Italian brings 13 years of open wheel racing experience to Dale Coyne Racing and should bring a unique perspective to the new Honda aero kit making its debut in 2015.
While trying to control his excitement Dracone said, “It is good to be back in America and great to be back in IndyCar. I feel that it is the best single seater series for a driver to be in.” He continued, “Working with Dale Coyne is an honor and a privilege because he is one of the most experienced team owners and he runs a great team.”
“Francesco shows great enthusiasm for our sport,” said Dale Coyne. “We look forward to working with the rookie in preseason testing and early races as he looks to IndyCar for his future.”
With his only competitive IndyCar starts being in the previous generation car, having several days of testing in the DW12 chassis will be invaluable. The team will test with him two additional days after the 2015 Barber Open Test.
After IndyCar’s “spring training” test at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama, Dale Coyne Racing, with Dracone at the wheel, will continue to test on March 23 and 24 at NOLA Motorsports Park in Avondale, Louisiana. The team will kick off competitive action on March 29 in St. Petersburg, Florida for the 2015 Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.